Skip to main content

Buhari Moves to Appoint 8 New Ministers, Restructure Ministries

  • Power, works and housing ministry may be split into three
  • Aviation and marine transport may be hived off from transportation
  •  Tinubu, APC governors may get nominees

In a move to keep to his promise to the chieftains and loyalists of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to appoint more ministers to his cabinet, President Muhammadu Buhari is considering a tentative proposal to restructure some of the ministries, appoint eight new ministers to his cabinet and reshuffle the cabinet, THISDAY has learnt.
Presidency sources privy to the proposal informed THISDAY monday that the plan is to appoint eight new ministers who will all be politicians, to accommodate the yearnings of his party members including its national leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and at the same time position APC for the 2019 general elections.In order to accommodate the eight new appointees to the cabinet, the plan is to get the president to split the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing into three ministries that will be manned by full ministers, and hived off the aviation and marine transport units from the Ministry of Transportation.
One minister will man Aviation and another may lead Marine Transportation.
A presidency source who spoke on the issue said the proposal that has been sent to the president provides for the appointment of eight new ministers, one representing each of the six geopolitical zones in the country and one from Lagos (who may be a nominee of Tinubu) and Kano State (who may be a nominee of Rabiu Kwankwaso).
Fashola is expected to retain Works and Road Transport, Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau who is from Kano is expected to retain Ministry of Interior.
However, Police Affairs may be hived off from the Ministry of Interior.
The appointment of two more ministers from the two most populous states in the country is strategic and is aimed at ensuring that the appointees from Lagos and Kano play crucial roles in delivering both states to the APC in 2019.
The source also revealed that with the split of the power and transportation ministries, Fashola would most likely be made responsible for the newly created Ministry of Works and Roads Infrastructure, an appointee from the North-east geopolitical zone will be appointed to man the Ministry of Housing while an appointee from either the North-central zone or the South-east will be handed the Ministry of Power.
In the case of the Ministry of Transportation, once it is split, the current minister, Rotimi Amaechi, will be appointed to man the Ministry of Rail Transportation while Hadi Sirika who is currently a Minister of State in the transportation ministry (aviation) will most likely be made a full Minister of Aviation.
Another appointee will be given the Ministry of Marine Transport after it is hived off from the transportation ministry.
All the new appointments, said the source, will be done with the consultation of state governors.
“The proposal has been put together and sent to Mr. President for his final approval. It remains tentative for now, but if it meets the approval of the president, the announcement will be made public before the end of the month and the names of the nominees will be sent to the Senate for confirmation,” the source volunteered.
He also disclosed that the proposal includes a cabinet reshuffle which could see the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu redeployed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and a new minister appointed to replace him as minister of state while Buhari continues to hold on to the petroleum ministry portfolio as the full minister.
At the last meeting of the National Executive Committee of the APC held last month in Abuja, Buhari had promised to appoint more ministers and members to the boards of federal parastatals.
The pledge was made to appease aggrieved members who had felt that they had been ditched after helping the party to win the 2015 elections.
He had said that the new appointees will be fit for purpose and will breathe new life into the administration.
Although Buhari has not yet publicly declared that he will run for a second term, the move is also targeted at empowering strong politicians who can deliver critical states during the 2019 elections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50

Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50 Mark Stoneman (right) is Alastair Cook's 12th opening partner since Andrew Strauss retired in 2012 Tour match, Townsville (day two of four) Cricket Australia XI 250:  Short 51, Woakes 6-55, Overton 2-32 England 337-3:  Stoneman 111, Cook 70, Fallins 2-71 England lead by 87 runs Scorecard Mark Stoneman struck England's first century of the Ashes tour on the second day of their final warm-up match against a Cricket Australia XI in Townsville. Opener Stoneman made 111 to help the tourists to 337-3, a lead of 87. He shared a stand of 172 with Alastair Cook, who found some form with 70 before the first Test next week. Joe Root added an unbeaten 62 and Dawid Malan was 57 not out, but James Vince fell for 26. England could bat long into Friday in order to give Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali and Chris Woakes the opportunity of time in the middle. And while the visitors can be pleas...

Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year'

Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year' Dean Obeidallah, a former attorney, is the host of SiriusXM radio's daily program "The Dean Obeidallah Show" and a columnist for The Daily Beast. Follow him  @deanofcomedy . The opinions expressed in this commentary are his. (CNN) Twitter  exploded  Friday night and into Saturday after Donald Trump alleged that he was offered Time magazine's title of "Person of the Year" and Time responded by challenging the President's account of events. Trump tweeted that the magazine wanted him "to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot" before confirming he had won the award. Trump would have none of that, tweeting:  "I said probably is no good and took a pass." A short time later, however, Time responded on Twitter by challenging Trump's account, "The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. Time does not comment on our choice until public...
Poland fury over 'attack' by EU's Tusk The Polish government has accused EU Council President Donald Tusk of "attacking Poland" after he voiced alarm at the government's policies. "Today, by using his position to attack the Polish government, he is  attacking Poland," Prime Minister Beata Szydlo tweeted.  Her nationalist government has been in power for two years. Earlier Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, linked her government to a "Kremlin plan", without elaborating. The two leaders have long been rivals. Ms Szydlo's Law and Justice Party (PiS) is in dispute with the European Commission on several fronts: its refusal to accept refugees under an EU relocation scheme; its encouragement of logging in an ancient forest; and its refashioning of Poland's media and judiciary. The commission accuses PiS of jeopardising EU rule of law values. In a tweet in Polish on Sunday, Mr Tusk. a centre-right liberal, said : "...