Skip to main content

CNN exclusive: Mediator tells how Mugabe was persuaded to step down

CNN exclusive: Mediator tells how Mugabe was persuaded to step down

Harare, Zimbabwe (CNN)As a young priest, the Rev. Fidelis Mukonori collected evidence of atrocities during Zimbabwe's brutal civil war. The reports filtered to Robert Mugabe, then a leading figure in the liberation struggles.
Decades later, Mukonori helped persuade Mugabe to In his first interview since Zimbabwe's apparent coup and peaceful transfer of power, Mukonori described hours of debate and discussion at the presidential residence, State House, and Mugabe's personal residence.
Mukonori met daily with Mugabe, who is 93 years old and had been the nation's leader for almost four decades.
He became lead negotiator because both Mugabe and the military trusted him. The 70-year-old Jesuit priest from Zimbabwe said he's mediated between bitter political rivals in the past.
"I'm a tough nut to crack," he said. "I've done this before."
Mukonori said his strategy was never to argue with Mugabe, but rather to listen and convince Mugabe he could exit the political stage with nobility.
"He is a debater, he is a thinker, he argues intelligently, he can philosophize," Mukonori said. "It was a question of making President Mugabe see what was happening in the country economically and politically at that time and what was at stake with regard to issues pertaining to the soldiers moving in."
Mugabe was under house arrest by the military when he resigned Tuesday. Troops were reportedly stationed at Zimbabwe's Parliament and the presidential palace.
"The fact that the soldiers had taken that step -- Mugabe didn't disagree that there were issues but he wondered why it had to be done that way," Mukonori said.
Since the military had insisted that this wasn't a coup, but rather a way to settle a factional battle within the ruling ZANU-PF, they had to either get Mugabe to resign or face a protracted impeachment battle in Parliament to give the power transfer a constitutional flavor.
As the days dragged on, pressure mounted on Mukonori and the generals to make something happen.
Mukonori said he repeatedly assured Mugabe of his contribution to Zimbabwe as a liberation hero and father of the nation. Though vilified by much of the world, Mugabe is still revered by the military and ruling party leadership.
"The generals always treated him with respect during the discussions, they even saluted him," Mukonori said. "He knew he would love to leave with dignity."
Despite this, Mugabe seemed determined to hang on -- even for a few more weeks.
A deal was reached, but after 37 years in power, Mugabe still wanted to systematically transfer power to Emmerson Mnangagwa, the former vice-president who was waiting in the wings in exile and was constantly in contact with the generals.
When Mugabe addressed the nation on state television last Sunday evening, almost everyone expected him to resign. But flanked by his generals, Mugabe rambled through a lengthy speech. There was no resignation.
The process required a lot of patience, Mukonori said.
"Listening of a 93-year-old is not the same as listening of a 23-year-old or a 17-year-old," he said.
In the end, the cries of demonstrating Zimbabweans persuaded him to go, Mukonori said.
When tens of thousands streamed into the streets of Harare to demand Mugabe step down, the priest seized the moment to make a breakthrough.
"It moved him," Mukonori said. "It moved him in this sense that he realized that they are speaking to say this is enough."
When Mugabe resigned, there was unbridled joy asZimbabweans both here and abroad celebrated the end of his rule.
Mukonori said the ex-president was invited to the swearing in of Mnangagwa but declined, given the "charged" environment.
He said he still speaks to Mugabe almost every day. He said the former president has offered to give advice to the new president, despite most Zimbabweans wishing for a clean break.
"He has not vanished from life, he is not dead," Mukonori said. "But he has vanished from the limelight. His brains are still very sharp and working."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50

Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50 Mark Stoneman (right) is Alastair Cook's 12th opening partner since Andrew Strauss retired in 2012 Tour match, Townsville (day two of four) Cricket Australia XI 250:  Short 51, Woakes 6-55, Overton 2-32 England 337-3:  Stoneman 111, Cook 70, Fallins 2-71 England lead by 87 runs Scorecard Mark Stoneman struck England's first century of the Ashes tour on the second day of their final warm-up match against a Cricket Australia XI in Townsville. Opener Stoneman made 111 to help the tourists to 337-3, a lead of 87. He shared a stand of 172 with Alastair Cook, who found some form with 70 before the first Test next week. Joe Root added an unbeaten 62 and Dawid Malan was 57 not out, but James Vince fell for 26. England could bat long into Friday in order to give Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali and Chris Woakes the opportunity of time in the middle. And while the visitors can be pleas...

Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year'

Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year' Dean Obeidallah, a former attorney, is the host of SiriusXM radio's daily program "The Dean Obeidallah Show" and a columnist for The Daily Beast. Follow him  @deanofcomedy . The opinions expressed in this commentary are his. (CNN) Twitter  exploded  Friday night and into Saturday after Donald Trump alleged that he was offered Time magazine's title of "Person of the Year" and Time responded by challenging the President's account of events. Trump tweeted that the magazine wanted him "to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot" before confirming he had won the award. Trump would have none of that, tweeting:  "I said probably is no good and took a pass." A short time later, however, Time responded on Twitter by challenging Trump's account, "The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. Time does not comment on our choice until public...
Poland fury over 'attack' by EU's Tusk The Polish government has accused EU Council President Donald Tusk of "attacking Poland" after he voiced alarm at the government's policies. "Today, by using his position to attack the Polish government, he is  attacking Poland," Prime Minister Beata Szydlo tweeted.  Her nationalist government has been in power for two years. Earlier Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, linked her government to a "Kremlin plan", without elaborating. The two leaders have long been rivals. Ms Szydlo's Law and Justice Party (PiS) is in dispute with the European Commission on several fronts: its refusal to accept refugees under an EU relocation scheme; its encouragement of logging in an ancient forest; and its refashioning of Poland's media and judiciary. The commission accuses PiS of jeopardising EU rule of law values. In a tweet in Polish on Sunday, Mr Tusk. a centre-right liberal, said : "...