Skip to main content

Yemen blockade: UN warns of 'untold thousands' of deathsRebel-held port of Hudaydah, Yemen (7 November 2017)

Three United Nations agencies have issued an urgent appeal for the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen to fully lift its blockade of the country.
The World Health Programme, World Food Programme and Unicef said the reopening of government-controlled air and sea ports this week was not sufficient.
The closure of rebel-held ports was "making an already catastrophic situation far worse", they added.
Without fresh supplies, the agencies warned, "untold thousands" would die.
The coalition, which is supporting the Yemeni government in its war with the rebel Houthi movement, tightened its two-year blockade of Yemen's borders on 6 November in response to a ballistic missile attack on the Saudi capital Riyadh.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman accused its regional rival Iran of supplying the missile but Iranian President Hassan Rouhani denied arming the Houthis and said the attack was a "reaction" by Yemenis to coalition air strikes.
On Monday, Saudi diplomats announced that the restrictions would be lifted partially, with air and sea ports in areas under government control reopening.
Aid deliveries to the rebel-held ports of Hudaydah and Saleef would resume once the UN had addressed the coalition's concerns about weapons smuggling, they said.
So far, 29 vessels with 300,000 tonnes of food and 192,000 tonnes of fuel had been prevented from reaching Yemen, and a UN ship transporting 1,300 tonnes of health, WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) and nutrition supplies had been unable to dock at Hudaydah, they added.
According to the UN agencies:
  • More than 20 million people, including more than 11 million children, are in need of urgent humanitarian assistance
  • At least 14.8 million are without basic healthcare and an outbreak of cholera has resulted in more than 900,000 suspected cases
  • Some 17 million do not know where their next meal is coming from and seven million are totally dependent on food assistance
  • Severe acute malnutrition is threatening the lives of almost 400,000 children
  • As supplies run low, food prices rise dramatically, putting thousands more at risk
Even with a partial lifting of the blockade, the WFP estimates, an additional 3.2 million will be pushed into hunger and if left untreated, 150,000 children could die within the coming months.
"To deprive this many from the basic means of survival is an unconscionable act and a violation of humanitarian principles and law," the agency directors warned.
Diphtheria is also spreading fast, with 120 clinically diagnosed cases and 14 deaths - mostly children - in the last weeks. With vaccines and medicine blocked from entry, at least one million children are now at risk of contracting the disease.
More than 8,670 people - 60% of them civilians - have also been killed and 49,960 injured in fighting on the ground and air strikes since the coalition intervened in the war in March 2015, according to the UN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARIA Grid: Supporting nonvisual layout and keyboard traversal

ARIA Grid: Supporting nonvisual layout and keyboard traversal Modern web applications contain complex and dense user interface patterns — infinitely scrolling lists of content, menu bars, and complex data tables with interactive controls in cells, to name a few components. With a mouse pointer, a person can easily traverse the controls and items of an application. For a keyboard user, traversing a page via the Tab key becomes more cumbersome as the number of controls and items increases. A modern web page may contain hundreds of  tab stops  — elements that can be traversed using the Tab key. At Facebook, we are experimenting with a user interface pattern for traversing a page with a keyboard that we call a logical grid. A logical grid reduces numerous tab stops to a single tab stop within a part of the interface designated as a grid. From the single tab stop, a person can traverse items in the grid using arrow keys. In addition,  Accessible Rich Internet Application...
Poland fury over 'attack' by EU's Tusk The Polish government has accused EU Council President Donald Tusk of "attacking Poland" after he voiced alarm at the government's policies. "Today, by using his position to attack the Polish government, he is  attacking Poland," Prime Minister Beata Szydlo tweeted.  Her nationalist government has been in power for two years. Earlier Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, linked her government to a "Kremlin plan", without elaborating. The two leaders have long been rivals. Ms Szydlo's Law and Justice Party (PiS) is in dispute with the European Commission on several fronts: its refusal to accept refugees under an EU relocation scheme; its encouragement of logging in an ancient forest; and its refashioning of Poland's media and judiciary. The commission accuses PiS of jeopardising EU rule of law values. In a tweet in Polish on Sunday, Mr Tusk. a centre-right liberal, said : "...
Obasanjo Warns Buhari Over Maina Scandal 498 Shares Share Tweet Share Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has reacted to the reinstatement and dismissal of a former chairman of the Pension Reform Task Team, Abdulrasheed Maina , stating that the scandal should not have been allowed to occur. Obasanjo said this at the 2017 Foundation Day Public Lecture titled: “Corruption and the Challenges of the African Child”. The lecture was organised to mark the 14th anniversary of Dorcas Oke Hope Alive Initiative (DOHAI), in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital. He also warned Buhari that there must not be any “sacred cows” in the fight against corruption. “Corruption must be punished, and must be seen to be punished. “Any accomplice in corruption and cover-up and any failure to punish must also earn punishment. “We cannot afford to have sacred cows in the fight against corruption. The Maina saga should never ha...