Skip to main content

Ignore Obasanjo at your own peril, Jonathan tells Atiku

23 Shares
Share
Tweet
Share
Former president, Goodluck Jonathan has advised Atiku Abubakar to try contesting under the umbrella of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), he said Atiku cannot get the presidential ticket of the All Progressives Congress.
There are strong indications that the former vice president would contest in the 2019 presidential election although this has not been made official yet.
In an interview published on This Day, Jonathan said Atiku would perform well on the ticket of the PDP.
He also advised him to reach out to former president Chief Olusegun Obasanjo saying he has also learnt his lessons.
He said: “He can’t get the APC ticket. If Atiku gets our party ticket, he would compete well. He’s always a passionate politician. But he would have to reach out to our boss, Baba OBJ, the boss of all bosses. We’ve all learnt at different times that you ignore OBJ at your own peril. OBJ has the magic wand, respected at home and abroad…”
He also spoke about the issue of running mate saying the PDP would do better picking a candidate from the south east or south south.
He said: “Strategically, since Professor Osinbajo is already running with Buhari, the South South and South East, remain the most fertile grounds. And there are many brilliant people there waiting for the chance. The Governors control some of the richest states in Nigeria except Lagos…”
Naija News had earlier reported that Jonathan laid to rest speculation that he might contest in the 2019 presidential election despite pressure on him to do so.
Jonathan expressed happiness that he left power in 2015 without bloodshed or violence.
He said: “I have had the rare opportunity of leading our country at very critical moments and did my best. I’ve left the rest to posterity to judge.”

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50

Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50 Mark Stoneman (right) is Alastair Cook's 12th opening partner since Andrew Strauss retired in 2012 Tour match, Townsville (day two of four) Cricket Australia XI 250:  Short 51, Woakes 6-55, Overton 2-32 England 337-3:  Stoneman 111, Cook 70, Fallins 2-71 England lead by 87 runs Scorecard Mark Stoneman struck England's first century of the Ashes tour on the second day of their final warm-up match against a Cricket Australia XI in Townsville. Opener Stoneman made 111 to help the tourists to 337-3, a lead of 87. He shared a stand of 172 with Alastair Cook, who found some form with 70 before the first Test next week. Joe Root added an unbeaten 62 and Dawid Malan was 57 not out, but James Vince fell for 26. England could bat long into Friday in order to give Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali and Chris Woakes the opportunity of time in the middle. And while the visitors can be pleas...
CHAI, Lagos Warn against Female Genital Mutilation The Child Health Advocacy Initiative (CHAI) and the Lagos State Government have warned against female genital mutilation, saying it is unhealthy and violates the rights of women. Stating this in a press briefing on FGM in Lagos, the Executive Director, CHAI, Mrs. Lola Alonge, said FGM violates all human rights principles, including equality, non discrimination of sex and the right to health. She said FGM causes lifelong physical and psychological harm, as it affects the family, community, relationships and economic development. “Trained health workers who perform FGM are violating girls and women’s right to life and health. “We therefore call for the domestication of the Violence Against Persons Prohibition Act (VAPP). On May 2015, President Goodluck Jonathan signed the VAPP into law. This law bans FGM and other traditional harmful practices. But the VAPP only applies at the Federal Capital Territory. It is now up to each s...

Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year'

Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year' Dean Obeidallah, a former attorney, is the host of SiriusXM radio's daily program "The Dean Obeidallah Show" and a columnist for The Daily Beast. Follow him  @deanofcomedy . The opinions expressed in this commentary are his. (CNN) Twitter  exploded  Friday night and into Saturday after Donald Trump alleged that he was offered Time magazine's title of "Person of the Year" and Time responded by challenging the President's account of events. Trump tweeted that the magazine wanted him "to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot" before confirming he had won the award. Trump would have none of that, tweeting:  "I said probably is no good and took a pass." A short time later, however, Time responded on Twitter by challenging Trump's account, "The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. Time does not comment on our choice until public...