Skip to main content

 WORLD NEWS

Istanbul airport attack suspects on trial over terror

Forty-six suspects – one third of them Russian nationals – went on trial, on Monday, in connection with last year’s triple suicide bombing of Istanbul’s main airport, an attack that killed 45 people.
They are accused of “attempting to destroy the constitutional order” and “murder”, state-run Anadolu news agency reported.
They are also charged with “membership of an armed terror group” and “forming and running a terror group,” said the indictment. The grave offences mean a potential record jail term — up to 3,342 years — if convicted.
Anadolu said 42 of the accused, who had been under arrest, appeared in court at Silivri, outside Istanbul, in a hearing due to last four days. The other four suspects remain at large.
Sixteen of the accused are Russian nationals and the others are Chechen, Tunisian, Egyptian, Algerian, Syrian and Turkish.
Those killed in the suicide bombings at Ataturk Airport on June 28, 2016, included 19 foreigners and it was one of the worst attacks to rock Turkey’s biggest city that year.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but Turkey says the Islamic State group was behind the airport blasts. The court indictment also said IS “targeted the Turkish republic.”
Two of the three assailants in the massacre were identified as Rakim Bulgarov and Vadim Osmanov, according to court papers which did not identify the third attacker.
They are believed to be from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, and entered Turkey from Syria’s Raqa, IS’s then de-facto capital, a month before the airport atrocities.
Turkish media had previously identified the man who organised the attack as Akhmed Chatayev, the Chechen leader of an IS cell in Istanbul who reportedly found accommodation for the bombers.
The attackers had scouted the airport three times, on June 3, 8 and 23, according to the indictment.
Turkey has been hit by several bloody attacks blamed on IS militants over the past two years, including a New Year attack this year on a Istanbul nightclub in which 39 people were killed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50

Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50 Mark Stoneman (right) is Alastair Cook's 12th opening partner since Andrew Strauss retired in 2012 Tour match, Townsville (day two of four) Cricket Australia XI 250:  Short 51, Woakes 6-55, Overton 2-32 England 337-3:  Stoneman 111, Cook 70, Fallins 2-71 England lead by 87 runs Scorecard Mark Stoneman struck England's first century of the Ashes tour on the second day of their final warm-up match against a Cricket Australia XI in Townsville. Opener Stoneman made 111 to help the tourists to 337-3, a lead of 87. He shared a stand of 172 with Alastair Cook, who found some form with 70 before the first Test next week. Joe Root added an unbeaten 62 and Dawid Malan was 57 not out, but James Vince fell for 26. England could bat long into Friday in order to give Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali and Chris Woakes the opportunity of time in the middle. And while the visitors can be pleas...

Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year'

Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year' Dean Obeidallah, a former attorney, is the host of SiriusXM radio's daily program "The Dean Obeidallah Show" and a columnist for The Daily Beast. Follow him  @deanofcomedy . The opinions expressed in this commentary are his. (CNN) Twitter  exploded  Friday night and into Saturday after Donald Trump alleged that he was offered Time magazine's title of "Person of the Year" and Time responded by challenging the President's account of events. Trump tweeted that the magazine wanted him "to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot" before confirming he had won the award. Trump would have none of that, tweeting:  "I said probably is no good and took a pass." A short time later, however, Time responded on Twitter by challenging Trump's account, "The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. Time does not comment on our choice until public...
Poland fury over 'attack' by EU's Tusk The Polish government has accused EU Council President Donald Tusk of "attacking Poland" after he voiced alarm at the government's policies. "Today, by using his position to attack the Polish government, he is  attacking Poland," Prime Minister Beata Szydlo tweeted.  Her nationalist government has been in power for two years. Earlier Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, linked her government to a "Kremlin plan", without elaborating. The two leaders have long been rivals. Ms Szydlo's Law and Justice Party (PiS) is in dispute with the European Commission on several fronts: its refusal to accept refugees under an EU relocation scheme; its encouragement of logging in an ancient forest; and its refashioning of Poland's media and judiciary. The commission accuses PiS of jeopardising EU rule of law values. In a tweet in Polish on Sunday, Mr Tusk. a centre-right liberal, said : "...