Skip to main content

Osinbajo tasks D8 countries to depend less on oil

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has tasked D8 countries to depend less on oil as it becomes increasingly less attractive in terms of revenue generation and focus more on diversifying to other sources of revenues.
Osinbajo made this remark in Abuja on Tuesday while declaring open the 6th Meeting of D-8 Ministerial Meeting on Industrial Cooperation.
The D-8, also known as Developing 8, was set up officially on June 15, 1997 with member countries as Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Nigeria, Pakistan and Turkey.
The Vice President told the representatives of the countries that Nigeria is committed to working with the various Task Forces of the D-8 Ministerial Meeting on Industrial Cooperation to the targets of the founders of the D8 Organization.
He said the ultimate goal of the D8 countries is to promote industrial development and other economic activities in the global economy using the same platform to fast track the position of member countries.
The Vice President expressed appreciation to the President and people of Turkey for the warm reception accorded President Muhammadu Buhari and his team during the D8 Summit recently held in Turkey. He further described Nigeria’s hosting of the 6th D-8 Ministerial Meeting on Industrial Cooperation as a way of consolidating the gains of the Summit held in Turkey.
Osinbajo attested to the fact that this collaboration and partnership amongst the D8 countries cannot be over emphasised given the enormous opportunity to diversify sources of revenue given the global economic downturn arising from the fall in commodities market.
The VP therefore, called on member countries to take advantage of this auspicious association to work together to alleviate poverty of member nations to create jobs for the teeming population and to diversify the economies of member nations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NIGERIA COOKING RECIPES How to make Chicken Pie Check Out: How to Make Chicken Pie [Video] How to Make Nigerian Meat Pie This Chicken Pie recipe was born out of my craving for Chicken Republic's Chicken Pie. So what do you do when you are craving for a particular food and you are far away from the outlet that makes and sells that food? You go into your kitchen and make some! And that's exactly what I did. Enjoy the recipe, make it and send me some feedback by  clicking here . Click >>  Different Shapes of Nigerian Pies  for how to get the heart, circular, star and other shapes of this delicious Chicken Pie. Chicken Pie Ingredients I got 14 Chicken Pies with the following ingredients. The size and the number of chicken pies you will get depends on the diameter of the cutter you use. My cutter is 15 cm (6 inches) in diameter. For the Chicken Pie dough 1kg (2.2 lbs) plain flour (All Purpose Flour) 300g (0.7 lbs) margarine 2 teaspoons baking pow...
IPOB Secretery General, Achuzia reveals origin of ‘Biafra’ Col Joe Achuzia, Secretary-General of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, world-wide, has revealed where the word ‘Biafra’ orgininated from. The civil war hero said he was proud to be addressed as “a Biafran” as that reflected his true identity. According to him,  “You see people tend to forget the paradox about the Igbo. The word Igbo is not a tribal identity, it is linguistic identity. It is a language of a people collectively residing in the eastern region that used to be known as Southern Sudan. From the 14th, 15th, 16th century, the area was known as Southern Sudan. That is where the people known as Biafrans lived, hence the Bight of Biafra.  “There would never have been a Bight of Biafra if there were no inhabitants occupying the mainland. I’m not here pleading a cause for Biafra. No, I’m only taking you to historical antecedents.” Asked why he joined the fight for the secession of Biafra from Nig...
Why I didn’t invite people to my wedding —Nollywood actress Uche Nnnana Newly wedded  Nollywood actress Uche  Nnnana is said to have  married her beau Richard  secretly. The Two Sisters  and Mary The Hunter star  clears the air, in this  interview with MERCY  MICHAEL, among other  issues. 2013 is fast running out, how would you rate the year so far as it relates to your job? How could you ask that kind of question? You should know better (laughs). It is indeed fulfilling. For me, this year has been one of the best ever; it’s the year I got married to my wonderful husband and the year God blessed me with so many good jobs. I started the year with so many good roles and before you know it, the wedding came. I’m so excited. What are some of the things you still hope to achieve? I have achieved all I think I want to achieve this year, but that doesn’t mean if any other thing comes up, I won’t grab it. As a human being, I would say ...