Skip to main content

Explosion' heard near missing Argentine submarine's last known location

Explosion' heard near missing Argentine submarine's last known location

(CNN)A noise detected near the last known location of a missing Argentine submarine with 44 crew aboard was consistent with an explosion, the Argentine Navy said Thursday.
"An anomalous, singular, short, violent and non-nuclear event, consistent with an explosion, was registered," navy spokesman Enrique Balbi told a news conference in Buenos Aires.
A dozen nations have been searching by air and sea for the ARA San Juan, which was last contacted off the coast of Argentina on November 15.
    The latest update comes as the clock runs down on the chances of finding the vessel before its air supply runs out.
    The San Juan has enough air to last only seven to 10 days if it has remained fully immersed since that time, experts say. If the submarine has surfaced or "snorkeled" -- that is, raised a tube to the surface to refresh the vessel's air -- since then, the crew may have bought more time.
    Anxious families have been waiting at Argentina's Mar del Plata navy base, to which the submarine was heading when it vanished, for news of their loved ones. Meanwhile, ships and aircraft are scouring a swath of the South Atlantic for the missing vessel.
    A spokesman for the UK Ministry of Defense confirmed on Thursday that a Royal Air Force C-130 aircraft had landed in Argentina and is now a part of the search, as is a Voyager, a refueling aircraft that helps searches go on longer.
    It appears to be the first time since the Falklands conflict in 1982 that an RAF plane has landed in Argentina, although the UK Ministry of Defense would only characterize it as the first time in a "very long time." The Royal Navy's ice-patrol ship, HMS Protector, had already joined the search.
    Russia has also sent navy specialists and equipment to Argentina, state news agency Tass cited the Russian Defense Ministry as saying Thursday. The deployment includes a ship equipped with two deep-water vehicles capable of searching depths of up to 6,000 meters.
    The US Navy has sent underwater search vehicles and two undersea rescue systems that could be used to rescue crew members.

    Navy analyzing new noise

    Balbi said Wednesday that the Navy had just begun analyzing a new noise that was detected on the day the sub vanished.
    He also said there had been "no type of contact, not passive nor active," with the submarine since November 15. The search is "in the critical phase," he said.
    Late Tuesday, the British polar ship saw flares -- one orange and two white -- east of where it was conducting operations, prompting the dispatch of a search-and-rescue team consisting of three ships and two aircraft.
    For many hours, they patrolled the area "and were not able to detect any magnetic anomaly," Balbi told CNN. The spokesman said previously that the flares aboard the San Juan are green and red.
    The Argentine navy lost contact with the ARA San Juan shortly after the vessel's captain reported a failure in the battery system while the sub was submerged off Argentina's South Atlantic coast, the military said.
    The submarine was traveling from a base in Argentina's far southern Tierra del Fuego archipelago to its home base in Mar del Plata on the northern side of the country.

    Families' tense wait for news

    Outside the Mar del Plata navy base before the news conference, Federico Ibáñez was among the many family members and well-wishers hoping for good news. His brother, Cristian, is a radar technician on the San Juan
    Federico Ibáñez questions why the Argentine navy continues to say the boat could be on the ocean surface, and why rescuers took so long to begin searching the ocean floor.
    "The other relatives really have more hope and think everything will be OK, while I think the navy is wrong in saying the submarine could be on the surface," said the 34-year-old.
    "It's a lack of respect. If it was on the surface, they would have found it. They didn't, and they didn't look for them at the bottom," he said. "If they did it earlier, it could have been different."
    He fears the situation will end badly. "They keep saying that a submarine in good condition can have this much time, but they don't say how long they have if the submarine is not in good condition. So, what if it's in bad shape?"
    Cristian Ibáñez has a daughter, Elisa, 9. His wife, Fernanda Valacco, has told the girl little, hoping that her husband will return and she won't have to explain what happened.
    "She knows her father is missing, but she knows he's fine and will be home soon," Valacco told CNN. "I am sure all of the 44 will be fine and could come here any moment."

    Everybody is silent'

    Federico Ibáñez described a tense atmosphere on the navy base as family members huddled together praying for word of the sub's discovery.
    "They all stay there in a big room with bunk beds and some desks. Everybody is silent. Everybody is waiting. Waiting for what? I cannot stay there," he said.
    Aboard the sub with Cristian Ibáñez is Eliana Maria Krawczyk, Argentina's first female submarine officer.
    In 2004, she joined the navy after seeing an ad about military ships. She has voiced hopes of one day commanding a sub herself.
    "At the time, there weren't any female officers in the force. I took it as a challenge," she once told the Argentine Defense Ministry in a video interview. "You can do the same things than any men do, even if you are in a traditionally male-dominated environment. ... Any women can do it."
    •  

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50

    Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50 Mark Stoneman (right) is Alastair Cook's 12th opening partner since Andrew Strauss retired in 2012 Tour match, Townsville (day two of four) Cricket Australia XI 250:  Short 51, Woakes 6-55, Overton 2-32 England 337-3:  Stoneman 111, Cook 70, Fallins 2-71 England lead by 87 runs Scorecard Mark Stoneman struck England's first century of the Ashes tour on the second day of their final warm-up match against a Cricket Australia XI in Townsville. Opener Stoneman made 111 to help the tourists to 337-3, a lead of 87. He shared a stand of 172 with Alastair Cook, who found some form with 70 before the first Test next week. Joe Root added an unbeaten 62 and Dawid Malan was 57 not out, but James Vince fell for 26. England could bat long into Friday in order to give Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali and Chris Woakes the opportunity of time in the middle. And while the visitors can be pleas...
    Poland fury over 'attack' by EU's Tusk The Polish government has accused EU Council President Donald Tusk of "attacking Poland" after he voiced alarm at the government's policies. "Today, by using his position to attack the Polish government, he is  attacking Poland," Prime Minister Beata Szydlo tweeted.  Her nationalist government has been in power for two years. Earlier Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, linked her government to a "Kremlin plan", without elaborating. The two leaders have long been rivals. Ms Szydlo's Law and Justice Party (PiS) is in dispute with the European Commission on several fronts: its refusal to accept refugees under an EU relocation scheme; its encouragement of logging in an ancient forest; and its refashioning of Poland's media and judiciary. The commission accuses PiS of jeopardising EU rule of law values. In a tweet in Polish on Sunday, Mr Tusk. a centre-right liberal, said : "...
    CHAI, Lagos Warn against Female Genital Mutilation The Child Health Advocacy Initiative (CHAI) and the Lagos State Government have warned against female genital mutilation, saying it is unhealthy and violates the rights of women. Stating this in a press briefing on FGM in Lagos, the Executive Director, CHAI, Mrs. Lola Alonge, said FGM violates all human rights principles, including equality, non discrimination of sex and the right to health. She said FGM causes lifelong physical and psychological harm, as it affects the family, community, relationships and economic development. “Trained health workers who perform FGM are violating girls and women’s right to life and health. “We therefore call for the domestication of the Violence Against Persons Prohibition Act (VAPP). On May 2015, President Goodluck Jonathan signed the VAPP into law. This law bans FGM and other traditional harmful practices. But the VAPP only applies at the Federal Capital Territory. It is now up to each s...