Skip to main content

Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe granted immunity, military says

Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe granted immunity, military says

Harare, Zimbabwe (CNN)Zimbabwe's former president Robert Mugabe and his wife have been granted immunity from prosecution, the military said Thursday, allowing the couple to remain in the country.
Col. Overson Mugwisi, a spokesman for the Zimbabwean Defense Forces, told CNN that an agreement had been reached with Mugabe that included immunity and a guarantee of safety for the former leader and his wife, Grace Mugabe.
Mugabe resigned on Tuesday, in a historic moment that brought his 37 years of oppressive rule to an end.
    The former leader has been accused of ordering a string of massacres in the early to mid-1980s in opposition strongholds to consolidate his power, in which up to 20,000 people were killed.
    He has also long been accused of corruption to finance his lavish lifestyle, as his government drove the once-prosperous nation into economic ruin and poverty.
    Mugabe had spent a week negotiating his departure with the military since the country's army seized control in the capital, Harare, and placed the leader under house arrest.
    In a long, drawn-out process, frustrated military officials gave into the demands for immunity and allowed the president to keep several of his properties, sources told CNN on Monday, before Mugabe stepped down.
    Mugabe's former right-hand man, Emmerson Mnangagwa, returned to the country on Wednesday to take the reins as interim president, promising to take the country into a "new and unfolding democracy." He spoke in front of throngs of supporters, but made no mention of Mugabe's future.
    Mnangagwa's return has raised a sense of nervousness in Zimbabwe -- he is alleged to have been behind some of Mugabe's most ruthless policies and to many he represents the oppressive status quo.
    Known as "The Crocodile" for his political cunning and longevity, he is accused of orchestrating the massacres in the 1980s, an allegation he denies.
    He said in remarks on Wednesday that he was in "constant contact" with military officials during its operation to remove Mugabe, raising concerns that he could use the armed services to run a campaign of fear ahead of elections next year.
    The main opposition MDC-T party, led by Morgan Tsvangirai, has called on the security services to return to an apolitical stance.
    "In line with the constitution we demand that the security services including the army must not play any part in the electoral processes except the maintenance of law and order," MDC-T Secretary General Douglas Mwonzora said in a statement.
    He also called for "free and fair elections" monitored by the United Nations, and he urged all Zimbabweans to register to vote.
    Mugabe kept his iron grip on power for nearly four decades by rigging elections, it is widely alleged.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50

    Ashes: Mark Stoneman hits England's first century of tour as Alastair Cook makes 50 Mark Stoneman (right) is Alastair Cook's 12th opening partner since Andrew Strauss retired in 2012 Tour match, Townsville (day two of four) Cricket Australia XI 250:  Short 51, Woakes 6-55, Overton 2-32 England 337-3:  Stoneman 111, Cook 70, Fallins 2-71 England lead by 87 runs Scorecard Mark Stoneman struck England's first century of the Ashes tour on the second day of their final warm-up match against a Cricket Australia XI in Townsville. Opener Stoneman made 111 to help the tourists to 337-3, a lead of 87. He shared a stand of 172 with Alastair Cook, who found some form with 70 before the first Test next week. Joe Root added an unbeaten 62 and Dawid Malan was 57 not out, but James Vince fell for 26. England could bat long into Friday in order to give Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali and Chris Woakes the opportunity of time in the middle. And while the visitors can be pleas...

    Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year'

    Trump truly deserves to be 'Person of the Year' Dean Obeidallah, a former attorney, is the host of SiriusXM radio's daily program "The Dean Obeidallah Show" and a columnist for The Daily Beast. Follow him  @deanofcomedy . The opinions expressed in this commentary are his. (CNN) Twitter  exploded  Friday night and into Saturday after Donald Trump alleged that he was offered Time magazine's title of "Person of the Year" and Time responded by challenging the President's account of events. Trump tweeted that the magazine wanted him "to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot" before confirming he had won the award. Trump would have none of that, tweeting:  "I said probably is no good and took a pass." A short time later, however, Time responded on Twitter by challenging Trump's account, "The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. Time does not comment on our choice until public...
    Poland fury over 'attack' by EU's Tusk The Polish government has accused EU Council President Donald Tusk of "attacking Poland" after he voiced alarm at the government's policies. "Today, by using his position to attack the Polish government, he is  attacking Poland," Prime Minister Beata Szydlo tweeted.  Her nationalist government has been in power for two years. Earlier Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, linked her government to a "Kremlin plan", without elaborating. The two leaders have long been rivals. Ms Szydlo's Law and Justice Party (PiS) is in dispute with the European Commission on several fronts: its refusal to accept refugees under an EU relocation scheme; its encouragement of logging in an ancient forest; and its refashioning of Poland's media and judiciary. The commission accuses PiS of jeopardising EU rule of law values. In a tweet in Polish on Sunday, Mr Tusk. a centre-right liberal, said : "...