Skip to main content

500 Words On Being A Creative Soul

“There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into sun.” -Pablo Picasso
Growing up, I always had a wild imagination; twigs would become fishing poles, boxes would morph into spaceships, and grass could become lava. I would sit and draw for hours at a time and write stories just for fun. All of that sounds normal for a young child, but even as I have grown, I still see myself looking at things in different perspectives. I can look at a circle and begin to see more than a circle; images will start forming in my head while colors mix to make a whole picture. My mind also won’t allow my thoughts to be tidied up and put into neat piles; instead my ideas, dreams, observations, and all manner of things run wild in my head. Thinking logically comes easily to me, but in some situations my logic gets tossed aside and my creativity takes hold. I am forever questioning everything around me and craving adventure, and as much as I love people, socializing takes an immense amount of energy out of me. I also have to stick to a strict routine, so that I don’t feel anxious and lost. I have been told my whole life that my creativity and wild imagination are both gifts, that they are special. I excelled in not only art, but also writing all through school, even up until now. However, it still has been a challenge for me to view my creativity as a positive thing. At times, it seems like it is just a nuisance since it causes me to over-analyze everything from the books I read, to my professors’ lectures, even my own work. I constantly ask myself if this is really a gift or just a thorn in my side.
The struggle to accept who I am actually drove me to look up some information and write this article. What I found surprised me, but it also answered all of my questions. Research has shown that creativity and abstract ways of thought cause creative individuals to do some things differently than their peers. They tend to have higher amounts of physical energy, have both the characteristics of an introvert and an extrovert, combine discipline and responsibility, and escape gender role stereotyping (Csikszentmihalyi). I never understood why I had such a random combination of traits, but once I read that information it made sense. I also found out that we tend to be some of the most resilient people, able to bounce back quickly from bad situations, using our experiences as fuel for our work. We are complex individuals who can be hard to understand; we can barely understand ourselves half of the time, but we eventually figure stuff out. Maybe being creative is not such a bad thing. Maybe it is a gift that can push us through life and help us succeed. To all of the other creative folks out there: I hope you read this and see that your creativity is something that is worth being thankful for.
Image may contain: 1 person

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NIGERIA COOKING RECIPES How to make Chicken Pie Check Out: How to Make Chicken Pie [Video] How to Make Nigerian Meat Pie This Chicken Pie recipe was born out of my craving for Chicken Republic's Chicken Pie. So what do you do when you are craving for a particular food and you are far away from the outlet that makes and sells that food? You go into your kitchen and make some! And that's exactly what I did. Enjoy the recipe, make it and send me some feedback by  clicking here . Click >>  Different Shapes of Nigerian Pies  for how to get the heart, circular, star and other shapes of this delicious Chicken Pie. Chicken Pie Ingredients I got 14 Chicken Pies with the following ingredients. The size and the number of chicken pies you will get depends on the diameter of the cutter you use. My cutter is 15 cm (6 inches) in diameter. For the Chicken Pie dough 1kg (2.2 lbs) plain flour (All Purpose Flour) 300g (0.7 lbs) margarine 2 teaspoons baking pow...
IPOB Secretery General, Achuzia reveals origin of ‘Biafra’ Col Joe Achuzia, Secretary-General of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, world-wide, has revealed where the word ‘Biafra’ orgininated from. The civil war hero said he was proud to be addressed as “a Biafran” as that reflected his true identity. According to him,  “You see people tend to forget the paradox about the Igbo. The word Igbo is not a tribal identity, it is linguistic identity. It is a language of a people collectively residing in the eastern region that used to be known as Southern Sudan. From the 14th, 15th, 16th century, the area was known as Southern Sudan. That is where the people known as Biafrans lived, hence the Bight of Biafra.  “There would never have been a Bight of Biafra if there were no inhabitants occupying the mainland. I’m not here pleading a cause for Biafra. No, I’m only taking you to historical antecedents.” Asked why he joined the fight for the secession of Biafra from Nig...
Why I didn’t invite people to my wedding —Nollywood actress Uche Nnnana Newly wedded  Nollywood actress Uche  Nnnana is said to have  married her beau Richard  secretly. The Two Sisters  and Mary The Hunter star  clears the air, in this  interview with MERCY  MICHAEL, among other  issues. 2013 is fast running out, how would you rate the year so far as it relates to your job? How could you ask that kind of question? You should know better (laughs). It is indeed fulfilling. For me, this year has been one of the best ever; it’s the year I got married to my wonderful husband and the year God blessed me with so many good jobs. I started the year with so many good roles and before you know it, the wedding came. I’m so excited. What are some of the things you still hope to achieve? I have achieved all I think I want to achieve this year, but that doesn’t mean if any other thing comes up, I won’t grab it. As a human being, I would say ...